The Basics - The Tennis Court Analogy – Sharing Power or Being 50% with Spirit or The Universe
Sharing or Balanced Power:
When you are fully sharing power with someone, you are ‘meeting them at the 50% line’. You are doing your 50%, and they are doing theirs.
You can have this shared power with:
- Maureen and the Guides in this site
- all Spirit
- the Universe and how you co-create
- more specific situations – such as shared power with your Boss (in shared respect, as an example), or with your significant other.
Shared power means neither of you is over the line. You both know that all you need to do is your 50%. The other side will do the rest.
Imbalances of Power – Being 80% or 20%
- If you picture that the tennis net is the 50 line and yet step back farther back on your side of the court, with each section of the court being a yard line (almost like football), then if you take a few steps back, you can retreat from the 50 line, to 40, 30, 20, or 10%.
- You could go right to 0%, which is the farthest reaching end of your side of the court, farthest away from the net.
- And on the other side, if you were to go past the 50 line, you could approach the other team player’s side, and cross over into their territory – going 60, 70, 80, 90, or even 100% into the other side of the tennis court.
When you get anxious and insecure with your 50%, you do one of two things – you either go past the 50 line, or retreat away from the 50 line.
If you go past the 50 line to the point where you are really encroaching on the other person’s side of the net, we call this ‘going 80%’.
If you instead retreat backwards away from your own 50 line, and go back farther to the edge of your court so that you aren’t even being willing to own your own 50%, we call this ‘going 20%’.
In an imbalanced power relationship, you can be assured that the tennis players are doing this particular ‘dance;’ someone is going over the line, encroaching into the other person’s space, but equally, the other player is letting them. Whether you are the one who seems to go 80% or 20% as your default state, realize that often the same player does both.
Imbalances of Power in Real Life:
In relationships, for example between a husband and wife:
The husband is naturally a 20% player.
- he has never learned to meet life at the 50 line; always having been rewarded in childhood for being more meek and staying at the 20 line.
- 20% is his default state; he has memorized this state and it is where he is most comfortable
His wife is naturally an 80% player.
- she has learned to go over the 50 line to be 80% to get her needs met
- 80% is her default state
You can already imagine the kind of dynamics this will create, can you not?
Regardless of whether it is the wife or husband who is 80, and regardless of who is 20, this power dynamic never works. Someone controls too much, and the other lets him or herself be controlled. It is impossible to find shared power from this state.
Imbalances of Power within the Tennis Game:
With Spirit, some people automatically go 20%, due to the reverence or pedestal they put Spirit on. After all, they are just a lowly human – how can they be equivalent to an angel or the Universe? (Don’t even get us started!)Or, they can go 80% when manifesting with Spirit, or the Universe:
When the person does not trust that their needs will be met and their intentions heard, once done intending, the person goes 80% and leaves the Universe only 20% with which to work with and the following happens:
- The person gets in the way of the how, trying to create ‘how’ the Universe should respond back to their requests.
- As a result, since they are not able to stand at the 50 line empowered and in flow, they don’t manifest what they want.
- They then complain that this game doesn’t work.
- And yet, it isn’t that the game doesn’t work. The game works just fine! If they put out their intentions and take up their 50% power of what they need to do on their end of things to create those intentions, that is all they need to do to stay at the 50 line. They have served their ball over the net to the best of their ability.
And please note that everyone has a different level of imbalance of power:
Sometimes you are just a bit over or under the line (60/40), and sometimes you can be extremely over or under the line (90/10). When some has absolutely no power, we say this is ‘being 0%’. When someone has taken all the power, we say this is ‘being 100%’.